Immune systems are like magical kingdoms. And as we know from watching many Disney cartoons, it takes more than brave knights to protect the city.
Yes, every magical kingdom needs a great wall to keep the germs, uhh we mean, invaders out.
So just like a magical kingdom, we’re giving our immune system extra protection by fortifying the great walls of our kingdom, aka our homes, this flu season.
Change Air Filters
Our home’s air filters are the first line of defense. They keep contaminants out and increase ventilation.
But they can get clogged quickly! And this can cause all sorts of trouble. Not only will they not work properly, but built-up dust can become an irritant. Not good when our little ones have the sniffles. But that’s not all. Clogged air filters can even affect our home’s HVAC system. And a non-functioning heater is the last thing we want during a cold winter!
Stock Up on Medicine Cabinet Essentials
Here’s the thing about the flu: it can sneak up on us quickly! One day our kiddos are bouncing off the walls, the next they’re in bed with a fever. And having a sick kid at home is not the time to run out of cough medicine.
Here are a few medicine cabinet essentials to keep on hand:
- Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Thermometer (Test the batteries just in case!)
- Cough Drops
- Honey (for children over 12 months)
- Immune Boosting Vitamins
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin C
- Multivitamin for Kids
- Daily Probiotic for Kids
Toss Expired Medications
While you’re stocking up, go ahead and dispose of older medications and products. The best way is to drop them off at a Drug Take Back Location or follow the FDA’s Drug Disposal Guidance. Just don’t flush ‘em down the toilet!
Load up on Sick Day Essentials
Even when we wash our hands, take our vitamins, and eat a healthy diet, the Flu can come anyway! But that’s okay, because you’re prepared. Not only do you have a fully stocked medicine cabinet, but you’re loaded up on sick day essentials to kick that Flu to the curb asap.
Here are a few items to pick up the next time you’re at the grocery store. Or, more realistically, add to your Amazon shopping cart.
- Hand Sanitizer
- Paper towels
- Disinfectant Spray
Disinfect your Home
If Spring is for cleaning, then winter is for disinfecting. And as the Flu makes it rounds from home to home, you’ll want to stop it before it enters yours.
Since the Flu virus can live up to 48 hours on surfaces, routine disinfecting can prevent sickness and help your family stay healthy this season. Consider doing the following:
- Keep extra sanitizing wipes at the entrances of your home and in common areas to encourage frequent cleaning.
- Sanitize packages and groceries delivered to your home before bringing them in; especially during the high online shopping season.
- Clean your dehumidifier frequently to prevent mold and bacteria growth.
- Mop your floors often with warm water and a disinfectant to prevent spreading germs.
- Wash your kiddo’s toys; especially before and after playdates.
Create a Sick Day Game Plan
It’s never a convenient time to have a sick kid at home, or get sick yourself. Especially for working parents with no sick days left in the year. So having a game plan is a great way to avoid the additional stress. Here are a few things to line up in advance:
- Transportation – Is there someone else besides you who can pick your child up from school? Are they on the school’s authorized pickup list?
- Care – Do you have a friend or relative who can watch your child if you can’t? Ensure they have your child’s pediatrician’s number and list of allergies/dietary restrictions handy.
- Work – How much sick time do you or your partner have left in the year? What are your employer’s leave policies? Is there a work-from-home option? Is there someone who can fill in for you?
A little preparation goes a long way this Flu season – for both our homes and immune systems! That’s why a healthy diet with plenty of vitamins and minerals is key to battling icky viruses this season.
And for our favorite picky eaters, Renzo’s Immunity Builder Bundle is the perfect way to fill in those nutrition gaps. Complete with Vitamin D3, Vitamin C with Zinc, and a Picky Eater Multivitamin, the Immunity Builder Bundle is an easy (and yummy!) way to support our kid’s immune system this season.